Wednesday 18 October 2023

Prisoner In The Atom!

 


Alan Class Comics was a British comics publishing company that operated between 1959 and 1989. They produced anthology titles, reprinting comics stories from many U.S. publishers of the 1940s to 1960s in a black and white digest size format for us UK types to read. During the '60s, '70s and '80s these reprints were the main medium through which British children were introduced to American monster and mystery comics, as well as most non-DC or Marvel superheroes.

It was through these comics that my love for old horror comics was born, and a lot of the stories I read in them have stuck with me for years. Today's post shares one of these stories with you, one which I must have read when I was about 6 or 7....

I had to go to ComicBook+ to find this one, as it originally appeared in Charlton Comics' Unusual Tales, Issue 42, dated November 1963. Unlike when I first read it in Astounding Stories, this one is in colour too, so it's a new experience for me reading it like this!

(Script: Joe Gill? | Pencils: Charles Nicholas | Inks: Vince Alascia )









Poor Dr. Keppner...the irony and futility of his fate! It always reminded me a little of the end of the old Twilight Zone episode 'Time Enough At Last', which was another early favourite story of mine! 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Anyway, hope you enjoyed that! I'll need to hunt down some of my other favourites and see if they are in the public doman and shareable now too! In the meantime, all the other Cryptkeepers, like The Rain Causes Pain In My Brain, have lot of groovy posts to keep you entertained. Head on over to the       Coutdown Hub by clicking the badge below, and you'll find a list of all of this year's participants. 




No comments:

Post a Comment