Tuesday 15 October 2024

Monsters of the Movies (Denis Gifford/Carousel, 1977)

 





Bit of  a headache again today, and feel I've been looking at screens too long....so here's a quick look at another recent pick-up to keep things quick and relatively easy!

I picked up this book that a charity shop had obviously put out as we're nearing Hallowe'en.... and it's one that I've been meaning to get for a while!  It normally goes for about £13/$17, but as it clearly has a slight mold problem, I got it for £2/$2.61!

It's written by Denis Gifford, who you might have heard of if you're into comics, as he was well known for having the biggest collection of British comics in the world!  But he also wrote and drew comics, and wrote many books on the history of comics and cartoons. 

He was also a historian of film, television and radio, having written various books on the subjects....and along with his good friend, comedian and TV presenter, Bob Monkhouse, amassed a huge collection of various forms of media....and among his faourite movies were of course horror and B-movies!

And so we get this great little A-Z of Movie Monsters, which I've wanted because it mentions a few that are rarely covered in such collections....here are a few pages to show you what I mean!









I'm definitely going to use it a a reference to help me catch up on some horror films I haven't seen yet! It's worth picking up, especially if you can find a copy a little cheaper like I did.  I just hope any mold spores from it's slightly discoloured pages don't cause any odd moldy mutations upon my person!



(Oh, and if you haven't already, please do click on the links in the names of Denis and Bob Monkhouse that'll take you to their wiki pages...they are both very interesting characters worth reading about, especially if you know nothing about them!)



* ~ *


Be sure to go checkout what everybody else has been up to over at the Countdown hub by clicking the badge below....or you could head straight over to Spooky Moon who's crafting some creepy but cool creations!





No comments:

Post a Comment